Friday, May 25, 2012

Greek chicken and rice pie

DSC00211
I’ve been trying to clear out my freezer and came across some phyllo dough.  I began to conjure up something yummy to make for dinner.

In the fridge I had some leftover chicken (2 pieces already cooked), spinach, feta cheese, tomatoes, lemon, and kalamata olives.  I have a yummy lemon rice recipe, so I thought if I made that earlier in the day, all I would have to do is throw the rest of this together later that night. 

Here is what I came up with (although I kind of just did it and didn’t measure, so who knows if I’ll ever be able to do it exactly the same again):

This misto spray bottle is awesome!  I fill it with "extra light" olive oil and spray each layer of phyllo dough instead of brushing with oil or butter.  With the spray, you end up with less fat, but it still tastes great!  (what I like about phyllo dough is the crispy layers, and you really can achieve this texture by just a light spray of oil.) 
DSC00209
Ingredients:
1/4 roll of phyllo dough*
2 chicken breasts, fully cooked and chopped
1/3 cup toasted almonds
1 1/2 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 red onion, chopped
handful of oregano leaves, chopped
4 cups lemon rice (or somewhere around there- I didn’t measure the rice)
*I cut about 1/4 of a long roll of phyllo dough all the way through and then freeze the rest for later use.  This way, I’m not defrosting the whole thing and freezing over and over again, because I never use the whole roll in one sitting.
1.  layer phyllo dough, about 5 sheets thick, spraying or brushing each layer with oil or butter.
2.  Mix chicken, onions, spinach and oregano together with lemon rice.  Pour this mixture onto the first layers of phyllo dough.
3.  Top with some toasted almonds, feta cheese and pour some scrambled eggs evenly over top  (about 3) to hold the whole mixture together.
4.  layer the rest of the phyllo sheets, spraying each with oil.
bake at 385 for about 30 minutes (I really don’t remember exactly how long, so just watch it)

this was very delicious with the Greek dressing leftover from my salad.  In fact, you could actually pour a little dressing on the plate for each serving.  Everyone loved this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly