Friday, February 17, 2012

Creamless creamy tomato soup

My husband loves cream of tomato soup, and I'm always telling him that it's not as good for him as he thinks it is.   I know of a restaurant that makes it with a 1:1 ratio of tomato to heavy cream!  In 1 cup of soup, you are probably getting enough fat for the entire day!

following is a simple recipe that I came across a while back from the More with Less cookbook.  It uses NO cream and is delicious. 

Creamy Tomato Soup

2 T butter
2 T chopped onion
3 – 4 T all-purpose flour
pinch of garlic, oregano, basil, thyme

1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
2 t sugar
2 cups plain tomato juice
2 cups milk
Melt the butter over low heat in a 2-quart sauce pan. Add the onions and cook until soft, but not browned. Whisk in the flour and seasonings. While quickly whisking, slowly pour in the tomato juice. Cook and stir until boiling. Pour in the milk and heat through.
Yield: 4 cups

 (I usually triple this recipe so I can use the entire can of tomato juice, and my family LOVES this soup!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly