Below is a few dry recipes to substitute for the processed mixes you usually buy at the grocery store,
cream of mushroom/chicken soup
Dry Italian dressing mix
Vanilla pudding mix
1. Cream of mushroom/chicken soup (dry mix)
Instead of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup in those quick and easy recipes, I use a homemade powdered version consisting of nonfat dry milk, cornstarch and some other spices.
2 cups powdered nonfat milk
3/4 cups cornstarch
1/4 cup or less instant chicken (or vegetable bullion)- I try to use the kind with NO MSG
2 TBS dried onion flakes
1 tsp basil leaves
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp pepper
combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. To substitute for one can of condensed soup: combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add to casserole as you would the canned product.
mushroom soup: add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
celery soup: add 1/2 cup minced celery
potato soup: add 1 cup diced potatoes, cooked
chicken soup: add 1/2 cup diced chicken, cooked
2. Dry Italian dressing mixSome recipes call for the dry packet of Italian dressing mix. You can make your own!
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano, ground or 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt or 2 tablespoons salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground basil or 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme or ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried celery leaves or ½ teaspoon dried celery flakes
- Mix all ingredients together and store in air-tight container.
- ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING: Mix 2 tbs of this mix with 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tbs water, and 1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil or canola oil.
- Shake before using
3. Vanilla pudding mix (the first 4 ingredients are meant to be a dry mix to be stored for when you need a box of pudding mix.)
4 c. dry milk
4 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 c milk
1 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
mix first 4 ingredients in the food processor until fine.
when you need a box of vanilla pudding for a recipe, use 1 cup of the dry mix and add milk. Stir 15 minutes. remove. add vanilla and butter.