Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
DSC00283DSC00288DSC00290

I have been making this classic recipe for a long time, but last night was the first night that I actually ate the entire thing.  I was always turned off by the idea of having such large pieces of pepper in each bite because I have always been a "perfect bite" kinda girl - I like just the right ratio of one food to another so that one doesn't overpower the other.

I’ve always liked peppers chopped up in things, but I’ve never been one to eat peppers by themselves, so usually I would just eat the stuffing without the peppers when I’ve made this in the past.
I really didn’t think my kids would like these either with the peppers, but believe it or not everyone loved them!  I think because the peppers were perfectly cooked, and the flavors blended so well together. 

In the picture above, I have cut the peppers in half and filled them, but traditionally, you should leave the peppers whole and just cut out the stem and seeds from the top. 

Stuffed Pepper Cups
1.  Cut off tops of 6 medium green peppers;  remove seeds and membrane.  Precook green pepper cups in boiling salted water about 5 minutes; drain. (For crisp peppers, omit precooking.)  Sprinkle inside of cups generously with salt.
2.  Cook 1 lb ground beef and 1/3 cup chopped onion till meat is lightly browned.  Season with 1/2 tsp salt and dash pepper.  Add one 1 lb can tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice, and 1 tsp worcestershire sauce.  Cover and simmer till rice is tender, about 15 minutes.  Stir in 4 oz sharp process American cheese, shredded (1 cup).  Stuff peppers;  Stand upright in 10x6x1 1/2 in baking dish.  Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Serves 6.

**In the past, I have doubled all the ingredients except the meat to stretch this meal further. 
I also used about 1 TBS worcestershire sauce instead of 1 tsp
I used 2 slices of American cheese, and about 1 oz of cheddar and mixed it all together
If you do it like me with the peppers cut in half, then only bake for about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly